What BBK eats
Harissa Roasted Chicken
September 15th, 2014
Spicing up our chicken a bit—literally! This North African & Mediterranean inspired dish – with a BBK twist – is a delicious change up from Chicken breast.
*Note: We cook enough for left- overs. Please adjust the amount of Chicken needed to the serving size of your liking.
Ingredients for the Harissa (sauce):
- 1 tsp of Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp of Coriander Powder
- 2 Tbsp of Sweet Paprika
- 1 tsp of Anise Powder
- 1 tsp of Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp of Red Chili Flakes
- 4 cloves of Minced Garlic
- 2 Tbsp of FRESH lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp of Olive Oil
- 1 tsp of Sea Salt
Not all are pictured.
- 10 Chicken Legs & 5 Boneless Skinless Thighs
- 1 Grapefruit peeled and sectioned
- 1 Avocado pitted and sliced
- 1/4 Cup Mint Leaves torn
- 1 Lime
- 1 tsp of Olive Oil
- PreHeat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place chicken in a large bowl and sit aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the Harissa starting with the powders adding lemon and oil last. Stir with a spoon until the sauce is blended well.
- Once blended, start with a Tbsp of the Harissa and place on chicken. Begin rubbing the Harissa onto chicken- be sure to get under the skin. Rub until chicken is completely covered adding more when needed. *IF YOU CAN TRY TO SAVE AT LEAST 1 Tbsp of the HARISSA for after the chicken is cooked.**
- Cover & refrigerate over night or for at least 2 hours. (allow flavors to settle)
- Line baking pan with parchment paper and begin to arrange chicken on the parchment paper.
- Place in oven uncovered and roast for 35 minutes.
- In a small serving bowl, combine the divided grapefruit and avocado slices. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and squeeze 1/2 of the fresh lime juice on top. Add a pinch of sea salt & pepper for taste. Stir and top with torn mint leaves.
- Serve the grapefruit, avocado mixture, and the remaining 1 Tbsp of Harissa with the chicken.
- Plate and serve to your liking!
WHAT SIDE DISH DID WE HAVE WITH THE HARISSA ROASTED CHICKEN?
Vegetables: Using the Grill Pan- We paired it with grilled Broccolini & Zucchini.
Also great with Brown Rice, Jasmine Rice, or Quinoa.
THE GRAPEFRUIT + AVOCADO MIXTURE?
With the Harissa being a bit spicy, the grapefruit mixture helps mellow that and truly compliments the taste. Give it a try:)
Thank you Cheryl for the recipe inspiration:)
Write a comment
You need to login to post comments!