What BBK eats
July 10th, 2014
High in protein & fiber, quinoa is not only versatile, it taste wonderful with traditional Mediterranean ingredients including feta cheese, kalamata olives, and fresh herbs.
Note: make the quinoa salad a day in advance & allow quinoa to sit for better flavor & save prep time.
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and finely chopped to paste
- Ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups of red grape tomatoes (halved)
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño pepper
- 1 small red onion, halves and thinly sliced
- 1 Avocado (slice and remove seed)
1. Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, oregano, garlic and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir slowly until all is blended perfectly. Allow to sit at room temperature while you prepare the salad to allow flavors to meld.
2.Rinse the quinoa in a strainer until the water runs clear.
3. Combine the quinoa, 2 cups of water, 1 teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a small sauce pan, bring to boil and cook until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender. (Boil for 15 minutes)
4. Transfer to bowl, fluff with fork and sit for 5 minutes to cool.
5. Add the avocado, tomatoes, olives, red onions, jalapeños, feta and dressing and stir to coat all ingredients.
6. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or longer. The longer the ingredients sit, the better it taste.
Write a comment
You need to login to post comments!